Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Makes about 18 scones
- 4 cups (480g) self-raising flour
- 2 rounded teaspoons (10ml) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- 75g butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 220° Lightly grease two baking trays.
- In a large bowl, sift together the self-raising flour, baking powder and salt. Add the sugar.
- Add the butter and rub in using your fingertips or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Place the whisked eggs in a measuring jug and make up the quantity of liquid to 300ml with the milk. Set aside about 2 tablespoons of the egg/milk mixture in a separate cup for glazing the scones later.
- Gradually add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients, use the pastry cutters or two knives to mix the liquid into the dry ingredients until you have a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten out by patting lightly with your hand, or use a rolling pin, to a thickness of 2 cm. Use a 5 cm fluted cutter to cut out the scones.
- Gently push the remaining dough together, knead very lightly then re-roll and cut more scones out as before.
- Arrange scones on prepared baking trays and brush the tops with the reserved beaten egg/milk mixture to glaze. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the scones are well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack. Serve fresh spread with jam, lemon curd and cream.
Tip: The secret of light and fluffy scones is not to handle them too much before baking. Over handling the dough makes the baked scones tough and dry. A mixture that is slightly wet, and sticky will also result in a better scone with a good rise.
Gratorama offers a variety of promotions and bonuses https://spinsvilla.net/casino/gratorama-casino-review/ to its players to keep them interested in the game.
One such promotion is the welcome bonus for new players. This bonus can be obtained by making a deposit and entering a certain bonus code. They also offer a loyalty program that rewards players for their continued play. Players can earn points for every deposit they make and can redeem these points for bonuses and free games.