Cooking time : 15 minutes
Hint: Top with Parmesan shavings for a piquant taste.
- 180 g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 4 extra large eggs
- 15 ml vinegar
- 4 croissants, sliced in halve and lightly toasted
- 6 spinach leaves, blanched
To Make Hollandaise:
- Melt the butter.
- Place the egg yolks, lemon juice and melted butter (the heat from the melted butter cooks the yolks) in a food processor. Process until thick and creamy. Set aside.
To Poach an Egg:
- Half fill a pan with water, bring to the boil and add 15 ml vinegar. (Vinegar is not vital but helps with the egg’s appearance -vinegar coagulates the egg white turning it into a perfectly poached egg. The fresher the eggs, the better they poach. An egg straight from the chicken will poach without any need for vinegar.)
- Break the eggs, one by one on a plate or in a bowl.
- Use a spoon and spin the boiling water to slightly cool.
- Slide the egg into the centre of the whirlpool. Cook for 3-4 minutes until set.
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Work quickly to transfer each egg onto a plate, letting excess water drip back into the saucepan. Poached eggs should be served as soon as they are removed from the water as they get cold quickly.
- Top the toasted croissant with blanched spinach, a poached egg and spoon hollandaise over. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve immediately.