Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 Portuguese rolls
- 4 pieces steak, cooked to your liking
- 4 large eggs
- 30ml chilli oil
For the smoor:
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 250ml water
- 1 stock cube, beef flavour
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) brown sugar
- For the smoor: In a pan, heat the oil, add the onions and sauté until soft. Add the paprika and curry powder and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to the boil. Add the beef stock cube, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened.
- To serve: fry the eggs in the chilli oil until done to your liking, top the roll with the steak, fried egg and the tomato smoor.