Cooking time : 30-40 Minutes
Hint: A soufflé should be served straight from the oven. The basic mixture can be prepared in advance and placed in the fridge, but the egg whites must be beaten and folded into the mixture just before it goes into the oven.
- 4 extra large eggs, separated
- 250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 500 ml (2 cup) spinach leaves, cooked, drained and chopped
- 1 punnet mushrooms, cleaned, chopped and fried in butter
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat the egg yolks and the buttermilk together.
- Mix in all the other ingredients except the egg whites.
- Grease 6 individual ramekins with butter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and lightly fold into the mixture.
- Place the 6 ramekins on a baking sheet. Divide the soufflé mixture amongst the 6 ramekins and spoon into the ramekins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffy, golden brown and set.