Serves 2 – 4
Preparation time 30 minutes
- 4 large eggs
Ingredients for coating
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 500g lean beef mince
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) onion, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the crust
- 60g cake flour, seasoned
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 70g breadcrumbs
- Boil the 4 eggs for 5 minutes and immediately run cold water over them, peel and set aside.
- Combine all the coating ingredients and set aside.
- Set up one bowl with the flour, one bowl with the eggs and one bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Take a portion of the coating mixture and flatten into a patty, place one boiled egg in the centre of the patty and gently draw the mince mixture around the egg, smoothing over with wet hands.
- Roll the covered egg into the flour, then into the egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumbs, making sure each layer is evenly and well coated. Place into a bowl and do the same for all the eggs.
- Bring a pot of oil to 160°C and gently place the coated eggs into the hot oil and fry until golden (about 8 minutes), drain on paper towel and allow to cool a little before serving with salad.