- 3 medium-size fresh beetroots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain salt
- 6 large, hard-boiled eggs unpeeled
- Bring the beetroot, water, vinegar, sugar, salt, to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid is concentrated. Remove from heat.
- Crack the eggshells all over, using the back of a wooden spoon.
- Submerge eggs in the beet mixture and let stand for 15 minutes. Cover and chill 2-24 hours. The longer the eggs are in the beet juice the darker the colour will be.
To serve, peel and slice in half, or for more effect leave whole.