Makes 1 pavlova
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 75 Minutes
Cooling time: 4 hours
- 225ml egg whites, approximately 6 large Eggs (reserve the yolks for the lemon/granadilla curd)
- ½ cup (330g) castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) corn flour
- 1½ teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh cream, whipped
- Lemon curd (recipe below)
- Fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.Do not over beat.
- Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until each addition is dissolved before adding more, the slower the sugar is added the better.
- Once all the sugar has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further 10–15 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add the corn flour, followed by the vinegar, to the egg white mixture and whisk for 30 seconds or until all combined.
- Pipe or spoon the meringue onto the baking paper into a circle roughly 20cm in diameter. Reduce the oven temperature to 120°C and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Switch off the oven and allow to cool in the oven for 4 hours with the door closed.
To serve place on a plate and top with whipped cream, lemon curd and decorate with fresh fruit. Serve straight away.