Makes 12 cups
Preparation time 30 minutes
Ingredients for the pap
- 375ml water
- 250ml maize meal
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 250ml mozzarella cheese, grated, plus extra for sprinkling
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chives, snipped
- Salt, to taste
Ingredients for the cups
- 6 large eggs
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 250g bacon bits, pan fried
- Preheat the oven to 180° and lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
- For the pap, bring the water to the boil and gradually add the maize meal, whisk until well combined, cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter, cheese, chives, salt, and pepper. Stir until the butter has melted.
- Press 15ml (1 tbsp.) of the pap into each muffin hole and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, crispy bacon and pour over the pap layer in the muffin tray. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese and bake until set and golden, about 20 minutes. Serve while still warm.