Ham, bacon or viennas can be used, or for a vegetarian option add sliced, roasted peppers.
Serves 6- 8
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 – 35 min
- 125 g butter
- 250 g bacon, cubed
- 4 onions, peeled and sliced
- 60 ml (4 tbsp.) flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk, lukewarm
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 150 g (about 1 ½ cups) grated cheddar cheese
- Green salad and crusty bread to serve
- In a large pan melt the butter, add the bacon and onions and fry until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the flour to make a paste, and slowly pour in the milk stirring continuously.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the milk mixture, stir well. Add the cheese and seasoning.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish and allow to stand until settled and at room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake until set, about 30 – 35 minutes.
Serve sliced with a green salad and crusty bread for lunch or a light meal