Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 250 ml (1 cup) cake flour
- 7,5 ml (1½ t) baking powder
- pinch salt
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 75 ml buttermilk
- a little extra buttermilk if necessary
- 250 ml cream
- 100 ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 500 g vegetable mix: beans, carrots and broccoli
- salt and white pepper (optional)
- Salad leaves, avo and Peppadew slivers, to serve (optional)
- Place the ingredients for the pastry in the bowl of an electric mixer or a mixing bowl to make by hand. Mix gently until the pastry holds together or mix and knead lightly by hand until dough forms. Do not over mix for it will make the pastry tough and less crumbly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream, milk and egg yolks together. Mix in vegetable mix and season to taste.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Pour into the vegetable mixture and mix well until evenly combined.
- Spoon into the prepared tartlet tins.
- Bake for ±15-20 minutes until golden brown, puffy and set in the centre. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve with salad leaves, slices of avo and Peppadew slivers.
Grease 12 medium (10 cm diameter) or 20 small (6 cm diameter) loose-bottom fluted tartlet tins or shallow muffin tins well with margarine and divide the pastry between the tins. Press out the pastry evenly. Trim the pastry neatly at the edges, crimping with the fingers or cut away with a sharp knife and blend the cut -off bits into the crust on the base of the pie dish. Refrigerate while the filling is made.