Serves 6 – 8
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes + additional cooling/soaking time 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
For the batter
- 250g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons (30g) apricot jam
- 300g cake flour, sifted
- 125ml milk, warm
- 60g butter, melted in the milk
For the Malva sauce
- 125ml boiling water
- 125g sugar
- 250ml cream
- 125g butter
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
For the batter:
- Grease 12 ramekins or a 23cm oven dish.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a mixing bowl beat the sugar with the eggs, adding the eggs one by one until well combined and creamy in colour.
- Add in the lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda and apricot jam and beat together.
- Stir in the flour alternating with the milk and butter mixture, to create a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake at 180°C for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. If using ramekins, they will need less time, check by inserting a skewer in the centre of the puddings and checking that it comes out clean.
NB: Cover with aluminum foil halfway through cooking time if the top is getting too brown.
For the sauce:
- Pour the boiling water into a saucepan and add the sugar, cream, butter and vanilla essence. Heat on low until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the hot pudding as it comes out of the oven and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
Serve with cream, ice cream or custard.