Serves 4 – 6
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 6 medium baking potatoes
- 15ml (1 tbsp.) oil
- ½ each; small sweet red, yellow and green pepper, finely chopped
- 90g (1 cup) white mushrooms, finely sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 440g (1 can) sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 310g (1 ¼ cups) grated cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup, plus additional 6 tablespoons sour cream, to serve
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Micro herbs or spring onion to garnish
- Scrub the potatoes and pierce with a fork; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high 15-18 minutes or until tender, turning once.
When cool enough to handle, cut a thin slice off the top of each potato; discard the slice. Scoop out the flesh, leaving an approximately 3cm thick shell.
- In a frying pan, gently heat oil over medium heat. Add the peppers, mushrooms, red onion and garlic, cook for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in salt, pepper and 1 cup potato flesh (save remaining flesh for another use).
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. While the mixture is cooling preheat the oven to 200°C. When mixture has cooled add the sweetcorn, beaten eggs, ½ cup of the cheese and ¼ cup of the sour cream.
- Spoon the egg mixture into the potato shells. Place on a greased baking pan. Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup of the cheese and bake 10 -15 minutes or until heated through and the cheese has melted. Top with remaining sour cream; sprinkle with bacon and spring onions or micro herbs.
Leftover or extra potato can be frozen to be used in soups.