Cooking time : 1 hour 3
Hint: Pastry crust can be replaced with a biscuit and butter crust.
- 175 g (310 ml) cake flour
- 30 ml (2 T) castor sugar
- 2,5 ml (½ t) salt
- 125 g butter
- 50 ml water
- 1 x 397g can condensed milk
- 125 ml lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 7,5 ml (1½ t) grated lemon rind
- 2,5 ml (½ t) cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- 60 ml (¼ cup) castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 160ºC.
- Sift the cake flour, castor sugar and salt together.
- Rub in the butter and add just enough water to make a pliable dough. Place in plastic bag and leave in fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry to 5mm thickness and line a tart pan. Place foil on pastry and fill with dry beans. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Mix the condensed milk, lemon juice, egg yolk and lemon rind. Mix well.
- Beat the egg white and cream of tartar until stiff; gradually add the castor sugar whilst beating continuously.
- Fill pastry case with the filling and spoon meringue mixture on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until meringue topping becomes golden brown.