Classic egg and coffee custard makes a stunning summer dessert
Preparation time: 30 – 40 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 6 – 12 hours
Total Time: 7 – 12 hours
- 3 whole eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 250g mascarpone, room temperature
- 1 cup black coffee, preferably filter coffee hot and strong
- 2 tbsp. Frangelico or Kahlua, optional
- ¼ cup caramel condensed milk (Carmel Treat) optional
- 200g (24 – 30) sponge fingers, Boudoir biscuits
- Cocoa, for dusting
- Start by making the coffee and caramel biscuits. Spread half the biscuits with the caramel and sandwich together with another biscuit. Mix coffee and liquor together. Quickly dip the sandwiched biscuits into the coffee and line the bottom of individual serving glasses, break in half if necessary to fit snugly into the glasses. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl over a pot of simmering water with an electric beater on high speed until it changes to a very light, pale yellow (almost white), and is thick and voluminous (called ribbon stage as it leaves a ribbon trail in the mixture). Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the mascarpone.
- Add the vanilla and half the mascarpone, fold in until combined and smooth, and beat in the remaining mascarpone taking care not to deflate the mixture too much.
- Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the biscuits then top with another layer of coffee dipped biscuits and dust with cocoa powder, then spread with remaining cream.
- Cover, refrigerate for at least 4 – 5 hours, preferably overnight.
- Dust with cocoa powder just before serving or after placing onto serving plates.