These quick and easy tartlets make a delicious brunch or light lunch served with a side salad they can be prepared ahead of time and are inexpensive yet delicious! The leeks can be replaced with spinach or asparagus.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 roll frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small onion sliced paper thin
- 300g baby leeks, washed and blanched
- Assorted fresh herbs
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Put dough onto a floured surface and roll out slightly. Cut the dough into four equal
- Use a blunt knife to score a 2cm border around each square, don’t cut all the way through the dough. Prick the inside of each square a few times with the tines of a fork but leave the border alone. The border will puff up during cooking and form a frame.
- Brush the outside edges with the beaten egg, and then spread some of the feta cheese around the centre of each square. Arrange the onion slices and the leeks on top and brush with olive oil. Bake the squares for about 10 minutes, just until they start to puff and turn light golden.
- While the pastry is cooking, crack each egg into a ramekin or teacup, and set aside. This will allow you to gently slide the egg onto the pastry easier.
- Remove from the oven and take a minute to gently push aside the feta, onions and leeks so that a small hollow is created for the egg. Slide an egg into the centre of each square. Put back in the oven carefully, and continue baking for another 10-12 minutes, just until the egg is set and the pastry is golden.
Serve hot, or at room temperature, sprinkled with fresh herbs.