Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 60g butter
- 1 cup leeks, washed and finely sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach, washed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup mature cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 200g sliced cooked ham
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and sauté the leeks and baby spinach until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the cream and nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir until it has thickened slightly, lastly add the cheeses. Turn off the heat and stir so that the cheeses melt into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture between 4 oven-proof ramekins or place it all into a medium baking dish. Arrange the ham slices in the mixture.
- Using the back of a spoon make 4 indentations in the mixture for the eggs. Break one egg at a time into a teacup and then tip into the indentations.
- Bake for around 8-12 minutes until the whites are cooked through and the yolks are cooked to your liking.
Serve immediately with hot buttered toast.