Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: about 45 minutes
- 15 ml (1 ) olive oil
- 500 g diced butternut
- 500 gfresh gnocchi
- 2 clovesgarlic, crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) dried Italian herbs
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 x 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 60 ml (4 tbsp.) green or red pesto
- Fresh basil or flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Crusty bread and green salad to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a large flameproof roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add the butternut and cook until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add the gnocchi and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, herbs and onion, then cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the canned tomatoes, fill the can with cold water and swirl out the remaining tomato, add the water to the dish and cook for a further minute.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until bubbling around edges, about 25-30 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- Make indentations in the sauce using a tablespoon and break the eggs into the indentations. Bake until the eggs are cooked through, about 6-8 minutes and serve topped with pesto and garnished with basil leaves.
- Serve with crusty bread and green salad.