Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 large eggs plus 1 extra for coating (7 eggs in total)
- 3 tablespoons Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) white wine vinegar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) good quality olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ litres vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
For the quick Aioli
- 1 whole egg
- ½ small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) smooth Dijon mustard
- Juice of one lemon
- 250ml good quality olive oil
- Boil 6 of the eggs for roughly 7- 8 minutes for hard boiled eggs, reserving 1 for the crumbing. Run cooked eggs under cold water and when cool enough to handle, peel and cut in half length wise.
- Use a teaspoon and scoop out the yolks, keeping the whites intact. Set aside the whites. In a bowl combine the egg yolks with the chopped parsley, vinegar, olive oil and seasoning. Mash to combine. Spoon the yolk mixture back into the egg whites and mould the tops with the teaspoon to form neat and rounded domes.
- To crumb, place the flour in a shallow bowl with a little salt & pepper for seasoning, whisk the remaining egg with a pinch of salt in a separate bowl, and place the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Gently roll the stuffed egg in flour then dip in the beaten egg ensuring it is well covered. Finally roll in the breadcrumbs.
- To cook, heat the oil in a deep pot and working in batches, lower 2- 3 crumbed halves into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel, repeat with the remaining eggs.
- To make the aioli; place the egg, garlic and mustard in the jug of an immersion blender or food processor and whizz to combine. Slowly, drizzle the olive oil in through the feeder tube or down the side of the jug as slowly as possible all the time blending to combine the emulsion. When blended, add the lemon juice and adjust seasoning with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve the eggs warm with the aioli as a snack or with a fresh green salad as a light meal.