When there is more month than money left, eggs are the perfect answer for a budget meal. Use any leftover roast veggies, stir fry, roast chicken, or cooked meat. Frozen vegetables can be substituted for the roast vegetables.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 – 50 Minutes
- 250 g (1 ½ cups) macaroni
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 400 g (2 cups) leftover roast vegetables, (roast pumpkin, onion, carrot, sweet potato), diced
- 50 g (1/3 cup) frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 185 ml (¾ cup) milk
- 200 g (about 2 cups) grated cheddar cheese
- Salad to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 23 cm pie dish.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the cooked macaroni with herbs, leftover vegetables and peas, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk. Add cheese and mix well. Pour over the pasta and toss to coat. Spoon into the prepared pie dish and place on a baking tray in the oven.
- Bake uncovered until the pie is golden on the top, about 20 minutes, then cover with foil and bake until set, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove the foil and allow the pie to stand for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm with a side salad.