Leftover rice, samp or other small grains can be used as a filling for this recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 large peppers, halved and deseeded
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 500ml (2 cups) cooked rice
- 4 eggs
- 1 x 400g can spicy tomato onion mix or Shebo
- Fresh chopped herbs, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the pepper halves in a casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil. Spoon the cooked rice into the pepper halves.
- Pour 125ml (½ cup) water into the bottom of the pan, cover with foil and bake in preheated oven until the peppers are soft and the rice is heated through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon make an indentation in the rice and crack an egg into each indentation. Spoon tomato onion mix around the peppers.
- Bake uncovered until the eggs are cooked to your liking and the sauce is heated through, about 5-8 minutes. Serve immediately.