Makes: 1 Cake
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 Minutes
Hint: The cake should be kept in the fridge if not eaten on the day that it was baked.
Classic Sponge Cake:
- 4 large eggs
- 300 ml (250 g) castor sugar
- 500 ml (2 cups) flour
- 15 ml (3 T) baking powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) full cream milk
- 100 g butter
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 6 egg yolks
- 180 g (¾ cup) castor sugar
- 70 ml corn flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat eggs and castor sugar together until thick and creamy. Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold into egg and sugar mixture.
- Heat milk and butter, but do not boil. Add vanilla essence and stir into batter.
- Spoon into 2 x 20 cm greased cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes and remove from oven.
- Whilst the cake layers are still hot, use a cotton thread and “cut” horizontally in halve. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- In the meantime, make the custard filling: Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar together until light and foamy. Sift the corn flour and fold into the egg mixture.
- Heat the milk until just below boiling and add, in a thin stream, to the egg mixture whilst beating constantly.
- Heat over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and beat in the vanilla essence. Leave to cool.
- To assemble the cake: Divide custard into 4 portions and use as filling and topping for each cake layer.
- Sprinkle with ground caramel, if desired.