Breakfast for dinner is a favourite! This is an upgrade on breakfast bacon and eggs in a pie form. Using leftover Christmas gammon, it makes a great dish for the in between days of Christmas and New Year.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes and 15 minutes standing time
Total time: 90 minutes
- 6 large eggs
- 60g butter
- 1 cup leeks, washed and finely sliced
- 1 cup baby mushrooms, brown and white, wiped and halved
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (125ml) cream
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup cooked gammon, chopped (may substitute with cooked bacon)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 400g prepared puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons milk or 1 egg beaten for brushing
- Grease a deep pie dish or casserole dish. Preheat oven to 200°C
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and sauté the leeks and mushrooms until soft, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the cream and nutmeg, salt and pepper and fresh thyme. Stir until it has thickened slightly, remove from the heat and add the cooked gammon and the Parmesan, and whisk in 2 of the eggs.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pie dish and using the back of a spoon make 4 indentations in the mixture for the eggs. Break the remaining four egg into a teacup, one at a time, and then tip each egg into the indentations.
- Gently roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until even but not too thin, place over the egg pie and brush with a little milk or another beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes until pastry is golden brown and puffed.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve in wedges with a salad or leftover Christmas lunch vegetables.