Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients. This is a variation of Gado Gado – an Indonesian salad with steamed or blanched vegetables, usually served with a peanut dressing. Any combination of blanched veggies can be used and it’s a delicious and inexpensive way to use up what you have in the fridge. It’s delicious served with a light herb dressing.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 boiled eggs, and peeled
- 1 small raw beetroot, grated or cut into matchsticks
- 150g shredded white cabbage
- 85g chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 85g cherry or cocktail tomatoes, halved
- 30g sprouted mung beans
- 75g green beans, chopped, blanched and drained or mange tout
- Handful flat leaf parsley(chopped)
- 2 lemon wedges to serve
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons runny honey
- 300ml olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the eggs according to your liking, peel and quarter each egg.
- In each salad bowl, spread the cabbage in an even layer.
- On top of the cabbage, arrange in separate piles, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, sprouted mung beans, beetroot, green beans and hard-boiled eggs. Top with lemon wedges and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately with the dressing on the side.
- To make the dressing: whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl to combine.