- 170g milk or dark chocolate
- ¼ cup double cream
- 4 large eggs, whites only
- 3 tablespoons castor or white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Cream or torched meringue and chocolate shavings to garnish, optional
- Break the chocolate into a heat proof bowl and place in the microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted and smooth. Add in the cream and beat vigorously until the mixture is thick and smooth. Initially it will be runny, then the mixture will start to come together and when it gets very thick, set aside.
- Place the egg whites into a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer and whisk on medium-high until you can remove the whisk and the peaks hold for a few seconds (soft peak). You can do this by hand, but an electric hand mixer or stand mixer makes it quicker.
- Once your egg whites are whisked, add in the castor sugar and whisk again on medium speed until glossy, about 30 seconds.
- Add the chocolate mixture, spoonful by spoonful, while the stand mixer is on low. If you don’t have a stand mixer, add a spoonful of the chocolate mixture, mix, stop, repeat until all the chocolate is incorporated.
- Finally, add the cocoa powder and turn the mixer up to medium speed until well incorporated and you have a smooth, light and aerated mixture.
- Divide the mixture between 4 small or 2 larger glasses/dishes. Place in the fridge for up to 2 hours before serving. Add some whipped cream or torched Swiss meringue and chocolate shavings on top to garnish.
- This chocolate mousse is best eaten on the same day and best served chilled.