Traditional Welsh Rarebit is made with a bechamel sauce, which can be laborious. Our cheats version uses eggs and is quick and easy. Perfect for after school snacks or an accompaniment with soup for a light supper.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp.) salt and pepper
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp. mustard powder
- 60 ml (¼ cup) milk
- 150 g cheddar cheese
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) butter
- 2 slices wholewheat or health bread
- Ground paprika to serve (optional)
- Preheat grill.
- Whisk the eggs with salt, pepper, mustard and milk.
- Stir in ¾ of the cheese, reserving ¼ to sprinkle on the top.
- Lightly toast the bread and spread with butter.
- Spoon the egg and cheese mixture over toast, top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Place under the grill until lightly brown.
- Serve immediately.