Makes: 1 large Cake
Cooking time : 1 hour 30 Minutes
Hint: Make salad a day in advance and keep refrigerated. Serve as a side dish to a braai.
- 8 large eggs
- 525 g (2½ cups) castor sugar
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 500 ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 490 g (3 ½ cups) cake flour
- 30 ml (2 T) baking powder
- pinch salt
- juice and grated rind of a large lemon (optional)
- 125 ml (½ cup) soft margarine
- 500-750 ml (2-3 cups) icing sugar
- 10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
- food colouring of your choice
- 10 ml (2 t) hot water, if necessary
- Prepare 1 quantity of meringue mixture as per (see small meringue cases)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy; add the vanilla essence.
- Mix the boiling water and oil together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the water and flour mixtures alternately to the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into a greased 240 x 320 x 10 mm cake pan or oven roasting pan and bake for 40-35 minutes until done. Let cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing: Cream the margarine and icing sugar together. Add essence and mix through. Add water if icing is too stiff. Divide the icing mixture and colour each portion in a different colour.
- To make the meringues: Divide the meringue mixture and colour as desired. Pipe onto a baking sheet and bake as per instructions.
- Decorate cake with prepared icing and meringues as per picture.