Cooking time : 1 hour 30 Minutes
Hint: his recipe is also delicious prepared with croissants, banana bread or a light fruit bread.
- 5 extra large eggs
- 600 ml full cream milk or 300 ml cream & 300 ml milk
- 60 ml (4 T) sugar
- 10 slices white bread, day old or older
- 60 ml – 90 ml (4-6 T) smooth apricot jam
- Cream or custard, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Beat the eggs, milk and sugar together.
- Spread the bread slices generously with the apricot jam. Slice in half and layer in an oven proof dish, jam side up. Pour a bit of the egg mixture over each layer and complete the process.
- Press bread down slightly so that all the slices are well moistened.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 160ºC and bake for another 30 minutes until the top layer of bread is crispy.
- Serve with cream or custard. The pudding can be served hot or cold.