Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 750ml milk
- 450ml pouring cream
- 500g cooked rice
- 120g castor sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease an oven dish. Combine milk, cream, rice, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mixture just comes to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Whilst the milk is infusing, whisk the eggs well until frothy and well combined.
- Remove and discard cinnamon sticks. Add a ladleful of milk mixture to the eggs and whisk to combine, continue one ladleful at a time until the milk is incorporated with the eggs. Pouring the egg into the milk could cause it to curdle.
- Pour the eggy rice mixture into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender and custard is set, it should be wobbly but firm with a golden skin on top. Remove and set aside for 10 minutes to rest before serving.
Serve with syrup, honey or preserve.