The peppers make delicious containers for the baked eggs and the butternut can be replaced with any leftover veggies.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 sweet bell peppers, red/orange/yellow
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 butternut, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tins (410g) tomato and onion mix
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthways and remove ribs and seeds. Place cut side up in shallow microwave safe bowl or dish. Add ⅓ cup water to bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and melt butter and olive oil. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add butternut, thyme leaves and seasoning, and cook for another 8-10 minutes until butternut has softened and is easily pierced with a fork. Keep warm and add feta and cheddar cheese.
- Pour the tomato & onion sauce into a 25cm baking dish. Place peppers cut side up and spoon ½ to ¾ cup of butternut mixture into each pepper. With the back of a spoon create a hollow in the butternut for the egg. Bake peppers and butternut mixture for 10 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from oven.
- Carefully break one egg at a time into small ramekin or teacup and slowly pour into each pepper. Repeat until each pepper has an egg.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the whites of eggs are set.
Serve each pepper with marinara sauce and extra feta cheese if desired.